PDA

View Full Version : The Roloff's Have Changed...

EW800
05-16-2008, 06:12 PM
Hello All --

Regretfully, after enjoying LPBW for quite some time, our family has found that the Roloff family has changed so much over the many episodes and that it is not "healthy" for us to have our kids watch this show. Specifically, these are my biggest concerns:

-- We have taught our children that it is very important to understand the value of the dollar and to not put so much focus on materialistic items. When the show first began, the Roloff's seemed down to earth and humble - not it seems like almost every show is either going on an expensive trip or making a large purchase - major home remodel, swiming pool, collector vehicles and much, much more. I am not sure that having our kids watch them just burn through money like that is healthy. The Roloff's can obviously afford all of these toys, but the average family cannot.

-- I was troubled by how Matt handled the DWI arrest. He admitted that he had some drinks and then drive his vehicle. I would have had tremendous respect for him had he just said that he blew, used bad judgement and had to be held accountable for his actions. Instead, Matt faught the charge and got off. I was really hoping to use this as an example to our kids that mistakes can happen life and that we have to accept responsibility for our mistakes - not just try to beat the system.

I hope that the Roloff's will look hard at how they have changed throughout these shows. I fear (mainly for their kids) that they will not, but thought that I would at least throw my two cents out.

I am curious about what others think.

Regards,

EW

gap134
05-16-2008, 06:13 PM
How many time are you going post this? This is number 2.

Mrs.Sawyer
05-16-2008, 06:19 PM
:roll:

Bob45
05-16-2008, 06:29 PM
DO I HAVE DE JA VU ?
ISN'T THIE THE SAME POST EW:stick:

kalisnick
05-16-2008, 06:53 PM
Hey... don't hurt yourself when you get down off that soapbox.

Really don't care if you watch or not. Personally I don't see a problem with the show or my kids seeing it. Parenting involves interacting/supervising your kids and talking to them about what they are seeing on TV whether you agree or disagree. There are teachable moments everywhere. No way you can screen everything, but you can teach them values and let them come to their own conclusions. Sorry yours are so easily influenced...

Mrs.Sawyer
05-16-2008, 06:54 PM
:thumb:Hey... don't hurt yourself when you get down off that soapbox.

Really don't care if you watch or not. Personally I don't see a problem with the show or my kids seeing it. Parenting involves interacting/supervising your kids and talking to them about what they are seeing on TV whether you agree or disagree. There are teachable moments everywhere. No way you can screen everything, but you can teach them values and let them come to their own conclusions. Sorry yours are so easily influenced...

Riggs
05-16-2008, 07:13 PM
ditto.

jgirly
05-16-2008, 07:14 PM
EW800,

Thank you for expressing your opinion respectfully. You do have a point about the money, and well, about the trial if I'm honest.

I think the way they spend money may be affected by the show, in one way or another. Maybe TLC is pushing it for drama, maybe they just have more of it. As far as it being healthy for your kids, that's definitely your decision, but I just wonder how long children can go without being exposed to something and whether it's better to just show them what it looks like and teach them it's wrong.Oh I don't know, that's not the point. Maybe the Roloffs have changed, maybe it's just the way the show makes them look, through all the magic of TV. Maybe it's a little of both. It does seem, I will admit, like there are a lot more episodes about projects and special trips lately than there are about the family. I prefer the ones about them doing everyday things .

Matt said he had a beer at home hours earlier. How much effect that has on his driving, I don't know, but as I said on these forums at the time, it raised my eyebrow. I don't mean to judge Matt, really I'm just a clueless viewer, but it felt a little like it all rested on the "reasonable doubt" point in the legal, not the flat-out obvious innocent. I wasn't in the courtroom though, so I don't know if it was the way it was portrayed or if that's really how it was. He said he was using the time in which he had he license suspended to "learn his lesson." I'm surious to know what exactly he meant by that.

But, these are only my suspicions. I'm just a lowly viewer. I still enjoy the show, but they are human, and I don't think they'd be the only ones to react that way under the circumstances (with the money and the trial). Good people and bad people aren't divided into black and white categories. If you don't feel the Roloffs are good examples for your children, don't make them examples. Like I said, eventually they'll meet truly materialistic people or people who without doubt try to beat the system and they'll need to know how to deal with that. Not sure TV is the best place to do that, but it's hard to get around TV's influence.

Mrs.Sawyer
05-16-2008, 07:29 PM
I'm just a lowly viewer.

Nonsense, you are an above average viewer at the very least ;)

Pinksneakers2
05-16-2008, 08:08 PM
Quote of JgirlyMatt said he had a beer at home hours earlier. How much effect that has on his driving, I don't know, but as I said on these forums at the time, it raised my eyebrow. I don't mean to judge Matt, really I'm just a clueless viewer, but it felt a little like it all rested on the "reasonable doubt" point in the legal, not the flat-out obvious innocent. I wasn't in the courtroom though, so I don't know if it was the way it was portrayed or if that's really how it was. He said he was using the time in which he had he license suspended to "learn his lesson." I'm surious to know what exactly he meant by that. I do not remember Matt saying he was using the time to "learn his lesson" although I do recall he said he never wanted to place himself in a position where he ever could be even suspected of driving under the influence.

I found it extremely disturbing to have read so many message board posts by people who were convinced Matt was "GUILTY" versus "Innocent Until Proven Otherwise." I hope these posters never serve on any jury.

As a juror on a case in my state, I was instructed to reach a decision based on ONLY the evidence/facts presented at the trial and "personal gut feelings" were supposed to be placed aside.

If an individual were to be convicted of robbing a 7-11 five times in their past and they happen to be in the parking lot the day a 7-11 is robbed it may just be bad timing or bad luck. It does not mean they are guilty and they still should be considered innocent until proven otherwise.

gap134
05-16-2008, 08:40 PM
...I found it extremely disturbing to have read so many message board posts by people who were convinced Matt was "GUILTY" versus "Innocent Until Proven Otherwise." I hope these posters never serve on any jury. ....

That's exactly why they couldn't serve on a jury.

They remind me of the people that use to dunk witches.

Maui for me
05-16-2008, 08:53 PM
I have always believe Matt innocent and I only heard him say that he had one drink.

I am a grandmother and I raised my children to see all sides of life. I see my children doing the same thing. Some of my step granchildren and grandchildren of friends have been too shielded in my opinion. They feel entitled, don't want to work for what they want and think that only their opinion matters. Personally I feel sorry for kids who are not exposed to life, because growing up it is a tough world out there.

That said, I love the Roloff's and find it a very family friendly show.

Bob45
05-17-2008, 07:33 AM
Its Not The Roloffs Have Change,its That They Are Giving Products
To Advertise,such As The Pool, Mule, Trips,etc. Its The Show That Focuses On That. Its A Story Line. Look At The Oprah Show, People Are Given Cars, Etc, In Exchange For Free Advertising. We Don't See
What Happens In Those People Lives Afterwards. As You See, They Had To Put The Remodel On Hold. Now If We Were In The Same Situation, How Would We Be?:?:

EW800
05-17-2008, 02:52 PM
When the show first began, I felt that it really focused on little people getting along in a big world - just as the name implies. Recently the show has been pretty much nothing but spending money a tons of materialistic items and taking expense trips. Is it just me or does it seem to be less and less about little people in a big world?

Mrs.Sawyer
05-17-2008, 04:46 PM
When the show first began, I felt that it really focused on little people getting along in a big world - just as the name implies. Recently the show has been pretty much nothing but spending money a tons of materialistic items and taking expense trips. Is it just me or does it seem to be less and less about little people in a big world?

Since Matt, Amy and Zach are featured in every episode, the show is and always will be about LITTLE PEOPLE. Get it? They are little people living in a big world. Little people working, playing, fighting, loving, whatever, they are little people doing all these things and more, ya know, living. That even means little people spending money and going on trips *GASP*. Not a hard concept to grasp......for most people.

gap134
05-17-2008, 05:11 PM
Since Matt, Amy and Zach are featured in every episode, the show is and always will be about LITTLE PEOPLE. Get it? They are little people living in a big world. Little people working, playing, fighting, loving, whatever, they are little people doing all these things and more, ya know, living. That even means little people spending money and going on trips *GASP*. Not a hard concept to grasp......for most people.\

Well said MS :thumb:

EW800
05-17-2008, 05:49 PM
Since Matt, Amy and Zach are featured in every episode, the show is and always will be about LITTLE PEOPLE. Get it? They are little people living in a big world. Little people working, playing, fighting, loving, whatever, they are little people doing all these things and more, ya know, living. That even means little people spending money and going on trips *GASP*. Not a hard concept to grasp......for most people.

MS: Does not sound like we are watching the same show. ;)

Mrs.Sawyer
05-17-2008, 05:53 PM
MS: Does not sound like we are watching the same show. ;)

Then you better go find the message board of the show you are watching.

Roof On The Peach Shed
05-18-2008, 10:18 AM
My husband & I have been fans of the Roloffs for a couple of years now, and it's our favorite show. However, just this week I was saying that it was starting to seem that many of the episodes were about buying things. I know the Roloff's get discounts for advertising & that they need farm equipment, etc. My biggest concern is wondering whether or not the Roloff's have college accounts set up for each of their 4 children??? With the money they have spent on unnecessary farm attractions, etc., they probably could have saved enough for 4 complete college educations. The episodes on this latest huge house addition show them running out of funds. It seems that Matt was the only one who wanted the extensive addition & it's ironic that in striving to make the home "better" for the family, he's in fact disrupted their living space and caused everyone stress. I think it's sad that he's uprooted the kids from their rooms, especially Jeremy & Zach since they have such a short time left to live at home.

Mrs.Sawyer
05-18-2008, 10:27 AM
My husband & I have been fans of the Roloffs for a couple of years now, and it's our favorite show. However, just this week I was saying that it was starting to seem that many of the episodes were about buying things. I know the Roloff's get discounts for advertising & that they need farm equipment, etc. My biggest concern is wondering whether or not the Roloff's have college accounts set up for each of their 4 children??? With the money they have spent on unnecessary farm attractions, etc., they probably could have saved enough for 4 complete college educations. The episodes on this latest huge house addition show them running out of funds. It seems that Matt was the only one who wanted the extensive addition & it's ironic that in striving to make the home "better" for the family, he's in fact disrupted their living space and caused everyone stress. I think it's sad that he's uprooted the kids from their rooms, especially Jeremy & Zach since they have such a short time left to live at home.

I really doubt those boys will be moving out completely any time soon. I wouldn't worry about their finances, either. Not to mention the house must be completed by now, if not close.

Just enjoy their life as they share it with us and remember how unreal reality TV is ;)

http://i17.tinypic.com/53pctxu.gif

Maui for me
05-18-2008, 08:43 PM
Well said Sawyer... I just choose to enjoy the show.. honestly I rarely notice what they buy or anything, just love the interaction of the family

mary benedict
05-20-2008, 01:24 PM
Amazing how people can make judgements about a hardworking middle class family. People grow up and advance. Matt and Amy are hard working ,motivated and loving individuals. They are not phony or try to act in front of the camera. I admire them a lot and wonder if the criticism stems from jealousy and discrimination. I guess some people would rather watch a family who are hard up, can't afford vacations, blame the world for their misfortunes or just plain losers. Hope we get to see the Roloffs for more seasons.

Maui for me
05-20-2008, 02:33 PM
Very eloquently put Mary

seebert
05-20-2008, 04:57 PM
Amazing how people can make judgements about a hardworking middle class family. People grow up and advance. Matt and Amy are hard working ,motivated and loving individuals. They are not phony or try to act in front of the camera. I admire them a lot and wonder if the criticism stems from jealousy and discrimination. I guess some people would rather watch a family who are hard up, can't afford vacations, blame the world for their misfortunes or just plain losers. Hope we get to see the Roloffs for more seasons.

I'd point out that right now- there are PLENTY of hardworking middle class families who are hard up, can't afford vacations, and RIGHTLY blame the world for their misfortunes (it's not their fault that real inflation is over 25% but wage and salary inflation is 2% in America).

The jealousy comes FROM discrimination- and we'll be lucky to still have a middle class in America in 5 years if the discrimination against people who are "hard up" continues.

Having said that, Matt's a horse trader, and there are plenty of companies willing to make deals for a little TV time. But the family is about out of stories to tell- word is that the show will end when the twins leave for college.

But that won't be the end of the Roloff's public life. I'm looking forward to taking my wife to the Amy Roloff B&B for our 20th anniversary (if, as she said in that one show, she's going to open it when the kids move out- Jacob was born the same year we were married).

kinger732001@yahoo.com
05-30-2008, 09:22 AM
Hello All --

Regretfully, after enjoying LPBW for quite some time, our family has found that the Roloff family has changed so much over the many episodes and that it is not "healthy" for us to have our kids watch this show. Specifically, these are my biggest concerns:

-- We have taught our children that it is very important to understand the value of the dollar and to not put so much focus on materialistic items. When the show first began, the Roloff's seemed down to earth and humble - not it seems like almost every show is either going on an expensive trip or making a large purchase - major home remodel, swiming pool, collector vehicles and much, much more. I am not sure that having our kids watch them just burn through money like that is healthy. The Roloff's can obviously afford all of these toys, but the average family cannot.

-- I was troubled by how Matt handled the DWI arrest. He admitted that he had some drinks and then drive his vehicle. I would have had tremendous respect for him had he just said that he blew, used bad judgement and had to be held accountable for his actions. Instead, Matt faught the charge and got off. I was really hoping to use this as an example to our kids that mistakes can happen life and that we have to accept responsibility for our mistakes - not just try to beat the system.

I hope that the Roloff's will look hard at how they have changed throughout these shows. I fear (mainly for their kids) that they will not, but thought that I would at least throw my two cents out.

Regards,

EW

I agree with you 100%. The Roloff's have changed.

Maui for me
05-30-2008, 12:27 PM
The entire world is constantly changing as are all of us... they are not any different than anyone else in that regard. I am not the same person I was two years ago. Thank you Roloff's for sharing your lives with us.

catsroses
05-31-2008, 12:55 AM
When they first got the property and house...........shack? Planning, doing without, more planning and hard work. Reaching for the stars....So they have worked hard to build their farm and family life. Isn't that the American dream?
Personally, I feel they are down to earth, harding working American family. And we all belong to the same race; human. We make mistakes and we strive to be the best we can be.
Thank you for inviting us into your home. God Bless!

buckeye2424
05-31-2008, 03:35 AM
(word is that the show will end when the twins leave for college.) Well thats good then the show wont end i dont think thay are going to college.

summerville
05-31-2008, 03:44 PM
The Roloffs have NOT changed --- only some of their possessions have

aok351
05-31-2008, 05:14 PM
When they first got the property and house...........shack? Planning, doing without, more planning and hard work. Reaching for the stars....So they have worked hard to build their farm and family life. Isn't that the American dream?
Personally, I feel they are down to earth, harding working American family. And we all belong to the same race; human. We make mistakes and we strive to be the best we can be.
Thank you for inviting us into your home. God Bless!
Great post Catroses!!!!http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g7/danyalytus/smiley/00020121.gif

dwarfan4life
05-31-2008, 05:26 PM
Well said Sawyer... I just choose to enjoy the show.. honestly I rarely notice what they buy or anything, just love the interaction of the family

I agree with you Maui! LPBW is an awesome show about an amazing family. :p

just me
05-31-2008, 07:43 PM
I don't think of Matt as "Down to Earth" because he goes first class all the way. but I would too if I were him. Amy keeps him grounded sometimes but even she has a hard time.

catsroses
06-01-2008, 02:35 PM
what a nice compliment!
they make a great team.

kinger732001@yahoo.com
06-02-2008, 10:55 AM
The entire world is constantly changing as are all of us... they are not any different than anyone else in that regard. I am not the same person I was two years ago. Thank you Roloff's for sharing your lives with us.

Why do you all come down hard on anyone that has any criticism or anything negative to say? Isn't that the purpose of this forum? Give me a break.

seebert
06-02-2008, 04:33 PM
Why do you all come down hard on anyone that has any criticism or anything negative to say? Isn't that the purpose of this forum? Give me a break.

That's the purpose of the TLC forum. This forum, is more about the farm and the family than the show- and is actually moderated by friends and run by family on a family-owned website.

Maui for me
06-02-2008, 08:11 PM
well said Seebert, thank you

personally there is so much negativity in the world that I choose to visit sites that remain mostly positive, it just makes my day better for me

Mrs.Sawyer
06-02-2008, 08:12 PM
well said Seebert, thank you

YES thanks!

Stevie C
06-05-2008, 03:35 PM
Hello All --

Regards,

EW

We don't care what you think, why do people continue to express there dislike for the Roloffs??? It's stupid and again nobody cares. No family is perfect, you don't like the show? Then don't watch it. Don't go on and on complaining about how it affects your childs development and think just because they watch LPBW they are going to go buy a Hummer.......

just me
06-05-2008, 05:54 PM
Catroses, you are kind and remind me a lot of Aok.

Mrs.Sawyer
06-05-2008, 06:30 PM
Don't go on and on complaining about how it affects your childs development and think just because they watch LPBW they are going to go buy a Hummer.......

http://i16.tinypic.com/2mow5g0.gif

kinger732001@yahoo.com
06-11-2008, 01:47 PM
That's the purpose of the TLC forum. This forum, is more about the farm and the family than the show- and is actually moderated by friends and run by family on a family-owned website.

This makes no sense. Then why have a section of the forum entitled "Not Happy with the Show and/or the Roloff's"

gap134
06-11-2008, 04:45 PM

This makes no sense. Then why have a section of the forum entitled "Not Happy with the Show and/or the Roloff's"

It all depends on your approach.

If you want to sensible talk about things you don't like about the show, you are free to do so.

If you want to come in here and aggressive attack the Roloffs, you'll be cyber-history here.

Mrs.Sawyer
06-11-2008, 06:28 PM

It makes perfect sense, would you like someone coming to your website and bashing you?

Maui for me
06-11-2008, 08:48 PM
:thumb:

gap and Sawyer

I have too many things going on in my life and I don't like reading the negativity. I agree there is a difference between constructive criticism and bashing.

teaching2athome
06-12-2008, 10:20 AM
:thumb:

gap and Sawyer

yep! :thumb:

swaugh
06-13-2008, 11:25 AM
Hello All --

Regards,

EW

Matt has done such a great job with the house, but it is so messy. Amy never cleans it or has the kids help clean - they are a bunch of slops. There is always food, empty soda bottles, cans, etc. on the kitchen counter. The Foos home is spotless.

swaugh
06-13-2008, 11:27 AM
Hello All --

Regards,

EW

Of course they can afford it, their TV show is funding their lifestyle.

nanalove
06-13-2008, 11:31 AM
Boy for someone who watched the DWI case.......Matt did admit he has (one) beer at his friends house with lunch.....one beer does not mean that he was quilty of DWI....

kinger732001@yahoo.com
06-25-2008, 02:29 PM
It makes perfect sense, would you like someone coming to your website and bashing you?

How is this bashing?

Xtreme1
06-25-2008, 06:20 PM
And that would be God and Matt. As a retired police-officer, and having made DUI arrests, I watched the courtroom testimony intently. I do not feel that the officer used all the tools that he could have to establish his probable cause. Relying mainly on the HGN (eye-movement), was a fatal flaw, in my opinion. Even the judge stated so, given the fact that we are trained to look for numerous indicators to establish whether a person is under the influence. As police-officers, we OWE that to the public we serve. Wouldn't you want the benefit of all the tests?

In researching this, I found that the officer had been Awarded in the past for having been one of the top producers of DUI arrests in his area. This can be good...and Bad. Good, if he applies all of his skills and knowledge to EVERY stop. BAD, if the officer becomes over-zealous and becomes absorbed in just wanting to produce raw numbers/arrests.

I am not saying that that was what this officer did, but I have seen it bite officers in the behind in the past. They get awarded for being a top producer and then they feel like they have to maintain, or exceed the previous years results.

Accusing someone of DUI is a big responsibility and I always liked to have no doubts in my mind and would use all of the screening tools that I had at my disposal before I arrested someone

As far as the breath test, there can be operator error, so that is a tough call that Matt made. I don't feel that Matt was just trying to beat the system, rather, he was utilizing the rights afforded to any of us should we find ourselves accused of a crime. We have the right to face our accusers and to hear all of the evidence that they have against us.

Obviously, the jurors had concerns. So much so that they violated the judges admonishments not to get on the internet to research the case, or Matt. The Judge also shared those doubts, which, like it or not, is how our criminal justice system is set up to work.

aok351
06-25-2008, 06:47 PM
Very interesting perspective Xtreme.

SCRAMBLEDMIND
06-25-2008, 09:06 PM
sorry folks, i swore i would stay away from subject, i really don't see the point of haggling like this on a HOT muggy night, but could someone explain to me by guote
"friends and run by family on a family owned website"end quote means. ? CC:sad::sad

DisruptiveSpirit
06-25-2008, 09:15 PM
Seebert meant the site is run by Sam, Matt's brother. Some other source, such as TLC, doesn't own or pay for it. Matt does and Sam runs it. Along with the help of several others such as Becky, Kaitlin, Eric and myself. None of which are family tho.

sorry folks, i swore i would stay away from subject, i really don't see the point of haggling like this on a HOT muggy night, but could someone explain to me by guote
"friends and run by family on a family owned website"end quote means. ? CC:sad::sad

SCRAMBLEDMIND
06-25-2008, 09:20 PM
THANK YOU , SPIRIT. Didn't know that !

DisruptiveSpirit
06-25-2008, 09:20 PM
YW!! Anytime.

THANK YOU , SPIRIT. Didn't know that !

mountaingal
06-26-2008, 03:40 PM
[QUOTE=Roof On The Peach Shed;56382]My husband & I have been fans of the Roloffs for a couple of years now, and it's our favorite show. However, just this week I was saying that it was starting to seem that many of the episodes were about buying things. I know the Roloff's get discounts for advertising & that they need farm equipment, etc. My biggest concern is wondering whether or not the Roloff's have college accounts set up for each of their 4 children???

What the Roloffs do with their money shouldn't concern anyone. Its their private business and I say more power to them if they want to buy things, go on trips and enjoy themselves with the money they make. Goodness knows you can't take it with you! and it already sounds like Matt and Amy have college funds set up for the kids.

leogirl77
07-05-2008, 05:36 PM
who are you to judge? this is a normal family with normal values..they have never been portrayed as some tree-hugging, homemade clothes wearing, holding hands the hills are alive with music family. so they're buying things and taking trips..with what is on tv today, if you think this is not a family show, something is seriously wrong with you. they are a normal family. that is why the show is so popular. we all see things in them that remind us of ourselves. we saw an hour of matt's trial. an hour. hardly enough time to pass judgement. since you're a judgmental person, it was obviously enough time for you. don't watch the show anymore, and get out of the chat room!!!

leogirl77
07-05-2008, 05:39 PM
:mad:who are you to judge? this is a normal family with normal values..they have never been portrayed as some tree-hugging, homemade clothes wearing, holding hands the hills are alive with music family. so they're buying things and taking trips..with what is on tv today, if you think this is not a family show, something is seriously wrong with you. they are a normal family. that is why the show is so popular. we all see things in them that remind us of ourselves. we saw an hour of matt's trial. an hour. hardly enough time to pass judgement. since you're a judgmental person, it was obviously enough time for you. don't watch the show anymore, and get out of the chat room!!!

aok351
07-06-2008, 02:56 PM
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w75/amandassigs/smiley/welcome.gifLeogirl!!!

Caliope
07-25-2008, 09:11 PM
Here in Oz it is called "The tall poppy syndrome" where people hate to see others succeed in life and this is a classic example.

How quickly some forget what this family go through in having cameras follow their every move, temper tantrum, shopping trip,arguements ( how many couples would like the world to eavesdrop on their arguements?) kids grades ect. They are more than aware of the high price of fame and the good and bad that comes with it ( like having people criticise them for spending the money they earnt) and if they decide to put that money to making their lives easier,nicer,roomier or having a break then they are entitled to do it and enjoy it without those who tune in week after week to see what they are upto condemning them for it.

They couldn't win anyway, if they banked every cent they would have some complaining "with all the money they are making from the show you would think they would redecorate the house,take a holiday, build a pool, buy better cars........"

Mrs.Sawyer
07-25-2008, 09:13 PM
They couldn't win anyway, if they banked every cent they would have some complaining "with all the money they are making from the show you would think they would redecorate the house,take a holiday, build a pool, buy better cars........":thumb::cool:

Riggs
07-26-2008, 07:10 AM
Great Post Caliope!!

Caliope
07-31-2008, 01:55 PM
Thanks Mrs Sawyer and Riggs :grin:I can really relate to this post as my husband and I struggled for quite a few years raising a family on one income due to our youngest daughter having health issues that prevented me from working. Once she was over the worst I started a small business I could run from home but within 6 mths it was so busy my husband gave up his job and we ran it together. Now 6 years later we have offices in three states and are the largest agency in Australia.

Now you would think our friends would be pleased for us and most are yet some have made the same comments like I have seen here and it got to the point we were reluctant to buy anything new because of the comments we knew it would cause.Never mind that they went on trips, bought new tv's,designer clothes,the latest computers ect. all through the years while we made do with what we had and now that we can afford a few luxuries and holidays we are mindful of what people are going to say!

pforten
07-31-2008, 03:59 PM
Gees, nothing like people telling you how to run your family, what to buy them, what to do and not to do with your house and what type car you should or shouldn't drive. I think that's the business of the Roloff family. Maybe Matt did bite off more than he could chew so to speak with that remodeling incident. I believe he indicated he knew he had. As far as what trips they take, what cars they drive, old or new, what they have as far as a pool or anything else they spend their money on. I think it is their business and people should not be telling them about it. Well, you can tell them about it I guess, which is the nature and need some people have but they should not pay attention to it.

Also as far as sheltering the children from what parents consider inappropriate things on TV. Unless it's people in a pornography show or something like that. I think TV programs can be an education for children if the parents are sitting there to help the children understand what is good, bad and questionable conduct or procedure. If children are too sheltered I think they don't get the learning lessons they need to make it out there in the "big bad world." Just my thinking on this and the way I deal with children. By doing this parents help children to learn to think for themselves and decide what is right for themselves individually.

HDHMom
10-13-2008, 12:17 PM
I'm new here and came here because I'm such a fan of the show. Yesterday I spent a lot of the day getting caught up on last season. I'm a mom of a toddler so it is hard to always catch new episodes (and I do have a DVR but hardly use it for some reason). On to my comment.

I took to the Internet to see if I could find out more about the Roloff's. I didn't realize how many negative items are out there about the family. But, I see that with success comes scrutiny and it seems any move this family makes has been judged. For instance, Jeremy's girlfriend. Wow. Poor girl. If I were her age and read things about my weight all over the Internet, I'd be so hurt. I could take the "needy" comments but as a teenage girl, weight is such a touchy subject and it can really be damaging to a girl to read things like what I've seen. But regarding this post - The Roloff's Have Changed. I'm wondering, who wouldn't?

I pose this question - if you won the lottery, would you not spend the money? They didn't win the lottery, but they DID get a rare opportunity to open up their lives and let cameras in. With that comes some form of payment. Then companies want to be a part since people are watching so offers are made that I'm sure are hard to refuse. I mean, if you are offered a pool for your children to enjoy when you hadn't been able to afford one, or wouldn't otherwise get one, why wouldn't you take it? Sure, the pool gets some advertisement, and you reap the benefits. What is wrong with that? I just don't understand the judgment about this.

Sure, they have changed. They've come into money that they didn't have and perhaps aren't struggling to pay the bills any longer. I would change in such a situation. Doesn't mean they've changed negatively. Their circumstances have changed.

I try to watch and see the positives of the show instead of trying to pinpoint the negatives. I like to focus on what they had built before TLC. They had started the pumpkin farm, old town and other things for the community to enjoy. All before TLC. Sure, TLC was able to help them make it even better which I see is a benefit to those who are able to visit the farm.

Sorry for the long post. I wanted to get my two cents in and hope it was said respectfully to the other members of this blog.

DisruptiveSpirit
10-13-2008, 12:20 PM
I always say the same things Mom. Of course they would change. And welcome to the forum.

cutefamily
10-13-2008, 12:21 PM
Welcome to the forum! We don't judge the Roloff's here, now you may want to post another copy of this over on www.tlc.com (http://www.tlc.com) where they would jump all over this and give you their 2 cents. We agree with you here!8-)
Hope you can find some time in your busy schedule to chat! Thanks for your post!

HDHMom
10-13-2008, 12:32 PM
Thanks! I was just posting in response to some of the thread postings (maybe should have made a reply to the individual post). New to message boards! :)

cutefamily
10-13-2008, 12:34 PM
it's okay we were all new at one time. Sometimes some of those posters just come here to post something mean about the Roloff's and leave. It's not what we are about here. Enjoyed your thread, hope you continue to stay and post with us!:razz:

Momma of 2
10-13-2008, 12:40 PM
From one Mom to another Mom, "WELCOME" HDHMOM. I enjoyed your thread and like everyone else has said, we don't bash the Roloff's here. I hope you will continue to join in with us and especially tonight as the new Season starts. Should be a good one for sure.

Sissy
10-13-2008, 01:17 PM
Welcome HDHMom. We are very happy to have you with us. We be a bunch of good people...I think so anyways. :)

I really don't see that the Roloff's have changed that much. Amy still cares about her children and sees that they have what they need and some things they want. I mean come on....it isn't like they are spending mega amounts of money every day. ROFL They are just doing what any normal family would do.

aok351
10-13-2008, 01:33 PM
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s41/ILive4ChristAndGod/Greetings/Welcome/welcome-1.gif HDH Mom!!

Maui for me
10-13-2008, 02:24 PM
I love them just as much as ever..........

Momma of 2
10-13-2008, 02:38 PM
Me too Maui. Even tho they have more money now and achieved some fame, they are still down to earth people. I've never met them before in person, but I can tell just by watching them on t.v.

Mrs.Sawyer
10-13-2008, 02:56 PM
WELCOME HDHMOM!

hope you can comment tonight as well, I agree with your assessment!

itmatters08
10-13-2008, 03:06 PM
It bothers me when people say this family has changed. I havent posted here in a very long time but I must speak my mind on this topic. The family hasn't changed that much. Lets be real here for a second. This family being led by Amy and Matt have done great things over these last few years. They have shown what hard ship little people have to go thru on a daily basis. For that they must get a pat on the back.

I like this show because I find it easy to relate to. My family has dealt with many issues that the Roloffs have dealt with. Thats why I love this show because I can see my mom in Amy I can see my father in Matt. Its a great show.

They have changed some what over the last few years. Whats wrong with that? They still have the main morals that they had when they started the show. So what if they have turned this show into a money maker.... who wouldnt! The two parents have worked there butts off to make a good loving home for their kids who are we to say that they are going about it wrong. The point is, is that they are DOING it. They arent being shady about it they are making good money and doing it in a responsible way. Making money honestly and still raising a family is something you dont seen enough on the TV. I say you go Roloffs do your thing.

Mrs.Sawyer
10-13-2008, 03:26 PM
I like this show because I find it easy to relate to. My family has dealt with many issues that the Roloffs have dealt with. Thats why I love this show because I can see my mom in Amy I can see my father in Matt. Its a great show.

that's exactly how I feel :thumb:

glowbug57
11-05-2008, 07:02 PM
I have to say, watching the Roloff's from day one, doesn't anyone consider Matt spent most of his childhood having surgeries and in hospitals. Doesn't he and his family deserve to make up for some of the struggles they have been through, not to mention the worries about Zach and his health issues?

More power to you Roloffs. I get a kick out of watching you enjoy life and more of us should have a zest for life like Amy.

New here,
Glowbug57

aok351
11-05-2008, 07:09 PM
I have to say, watching the Roloff's from day one, doesn't anyone consider Matt spent most of his childhood having surgeries and in hospitals. Doesn't he and his family deserve to make up for some of the struggles they have been through, not to mention the worries about Zach and his health issues?

More power to you Roloffs. I get a kick out of watching you enjoy life and more of us should have a zest for life like Amy.

New here,
Glowbug57

Great post!! Welcome Glowbug!!!!

mrspopo
11-06-2008, 01:30 AM
Have they really changed that much? The kids still bicker, there's always the issue of "amy's cleaning", and as far as I'm concerned, Matt's propensity to build non-stop is basically the same as it was originally. They do have more money, money they have earned by giving up privacy and opening their home to the public. If they want to spend spend spend, then so be it. If people don't like the show, then they shouldn't watch it. Some elements are the same, some have evolved. Isn't that what happens in all shows?

Courtesy of TV.com: 6 seasons is a lot, over a hundred episodes for most shows. By the time that 70s show hit #6, the kids had all graduated high school, and Eric got married... definitely not the original premise. Becky had moved out of the house by season 6 in Roseanne. By season 6 in I love lucy, they had completely strayed from the original stuff... travelling to italy, florida, cuba, etc. Suddenly they've got a 5 year old from nowhere, and the ricardos move to the country. These are scripted shows, so it's a little different. There aren't many "reality" shows that have gone on that far. Not even the osbournes.

LPBW is the only example I can think of of this format of reality show lasting this long. And thank god it's evolved or it would be very boring. They started filming the first special when Jacob was a kindergartener... that's a long time ago. In that amount of time, everyone changes.

I enjoy the parts that are the same and will always be the same. I enjoy the parts that have changed because they're interesting to watch change.

Lona
11-06-2008, 08:54 AM
I for one love watching the Roloffs and give them a lot of credit for letting the world in their home and personal lives.
As far as them changing goes, well I would hope so. If you don't change you aren't growing, exploring, seeking new horizons. True all change is not good but even that can help make you a better person.
I have a friend that says, " how can you watch that show it is so boring?"
I told her, boring................put a camera in our home and you will see boring. We play a lot of cards together, sometimes for hours, now that would be a very boring show to watch. It is fun to play but not to watch.
Matt is just 4 years older than my son, and I am very proud of what Matt has done in his life, with his life and for what he has gone through and what he continues to do.
His parents did a good job of raising him.
I think we need to ask ourselves, what would we do and how would we react if fame and fortune was suddenly thrust upon us. Lets not judge one another but be happy for someone who does finally get something good in his life. This show has enabled Matt to fulfill some of his dreams for himself and his family.
Good job Matt.

Dancer
11-09-2008, 01:39 PM
When I first started watching the show, I thought it was great to see that anyone can overcome the challenges set before them. However, the Roloffs are now self-centered, mean, disrespectful, ill mannered, and filthy family. They were "humble" in the beginning, but now relish in their multitude of lavish lifestyle...Goodbye...if this is reality...don't need it. Goodbye and good riddance Roloffs.

DisruptiveSpirit
11-09-2008, 02:39 PM
LOL Why is it not reality? Because it's not YOUR reality? Of course they are living a more lavish lifestyle now. That's what happens when you make more money. I don't know anyone, celebrity or otherwise, who stayed living the way they were before they started making lots of money.

I myself can't take tons of vacations like they do or buy multiple cars or renovate my house, hell, I don't even have a house, but that doesn't mean I should hate them because they can.

Anyway, you're entitled to your opinion. I of course disagree.

Just let me leave an extra LMAO tho at the "self-centered" comment. I think that's WAY far off when describing them.

When I first started watching the show, I thought it was great to see that anyone can overcome the challenges set before them. However, the Roloffs are now self-centered, mean, disrespectful, ill mannered, and filthy family. They were "humble" in the beginning, but now relish in their multitude of lavish lifestyle...Goodbye...if this is reality...don't need it. Goodbye and good riddance Roloffs.

Mrs.Sawyer
11-09-2008, 03:27 PM
Yes, starting an organization for LP and then raising funds to go help LP in Iraq is soooo self-centered :roll:

Dance on outta here, Dancer

aok351
11-09-2008, 04:24 PM
Yes, starting an organization for LP and then raising funds to go help LP in Iraq is soooo self-centered :roll:

And "Mean"!!!:teehee:

Jessi
11-10-2008, 06:36 PM
I still like the show, but I do find some parts of it disturbing. The way they just toss stuff on the floor, Zack's car..( ugh), Amy saying Man all the time, haha.. the laundry room! I know they are sharing their lives with us, but geeeezz, I don't think I know anyone as sloppy as them. I'm not OCD or anything.. but I dunno. maybe edit the show better! :roll:

indycindyo
11-10-2008, 07:48 PM
Nooooooooo! NO! I like them being themselves. They are NOT bad people. They ROCK!!!!

Mrs.Sawyer
11-10-2008, 08:24 PM
I still like the show, but I do find some parts of it disturbing. The way they just toss stuff on the floor, Zack's car..( ugh), Amy saying Man all the time, haha.. the laundry room! I know they are sharing their lives with us, but geeeezz, I don't think I know anyone as sloppy as them. I'm not OCD or anything.. but I dunno. maybe edit the show better! :roll:

One person's "disturbing" is another's "that's wild, I love them!".

In other words, why in the world would you watch something that disturbs you week after week, year after year? I mean they have been a mess from the very first! They won't change, so get over it (nod to Jake ;) )

Fizzykitty
11-10-2008, 08:29 PM

I met a girl years ago that had a sloppy family. They were nice people and you never had to take your shoes off at the door. Their laundry was piled up on the stair case. I was shocked because my mom was a clean freak.
This was the first slob family i had ever met.
Anyways ...we were teens then and when the girl was older she married a pig farmer in iowa...i kid you not..really....:mrgreen:

Jessi
11-10-2008, 08:46 PM
lol Kitty!

I like to watch the show Mrs. Sawyer. And maybe disturbing was the wrong word, irritating probably fits better. It just doesn't seem the same this year. The kids are more rude, Zack's car is DISGUSTING, I'm sure you'd never let a teenager of yours drive a car like that. I just think instead of getting closer ,the family seems to be on edge with each other more. And the way Molly acted like such a brat about hanging Amy's jacket back up on the show tonight. They look like they are all trying to be actors now instead of being natural. I see Matt's face sometimes, that is not a happy guy. There would not even be a show if it wasn't for him I'm sure. They all whine and gripe at him about everything, but they sure don't complain about what they are getting out of it. And I will continue to watch " disturbing or as irritating" as it can be.. It's like watching a tense thriller , you want to see how it all comes out eventually. Geeez, stop jumping on everyone when they make a comment here. That's what this thread is for, to rant a little.. ya know?

DisruptiveSpirit
11-10-2008, 08:53 PM
I think they may seem worse to you this season, Jessi, because they are kinda limited to a few rooms and stuck with each other. Which will of course create frustration amongst them, bigger/more messes, attitudes, etc.

As for Zach's car, that thing has been a mess since the day it was given to him. YUK! LOL

Jessi
11-10-2008, 08:59 PM
haha, True DS... I guess I'm just kind of picky sometimes about clutter. AND kudos on the kids not being coached to be all nicey, nicey all the time. Ugh.. my fingers are itching to clean that place though! haha.

Mrs.Sawyer
11-10-2008, 09:01 PM
lol Kitty!

I like to watch the show Mrs. Sawyer. And maybe disturbing was the wrong word, irritating probably fits better. It just doesn't seem the same this year. The kids are more rude, Zack's car is DISGUSTING, I'm sure you'd never let a teenager of yours drive a car like that. I just think instead of getting closer ,the family seems to be on edge with each other more. And the way Molly acted like such a brat about hanging Amy's jacket back up on the show tonight. They look like they are all trying to be actors now instead of being natural. I see Matt's face sometimes, that is not a happy guy. There would not even be a show if it wasn't for him I'm sure. They all whine and gripe at him about everything, but they sure don't complain about what they are getting out of it. And I will continue to watch " disturbing or as irritating" as it can be.. It's like watching a tense thriller , you want to see how it all comes out eventually. Geeez, stop jumping on everyone when they make a comment here. That's what this thread is for, to rant a little.. ya know?

rant all you want and I'll rant back. Seriously, what show are you watching?

Fizzykitty
11-10-2008, 09:10 PM
Ugh.. my fingers are itching to clean that place though! haha.

:teehee::teehee::teehee:
I feel the same way when i watch !

Jessi
11-10-2008, 09:12 PM
Whatever!

Are you the personal Champion of the Roloffs?

And you must be really bored!

Mrs.Sawyer
11-10-2008, 09:12 PM
my fingers are itching to clean that place though! haha.

:teehee::teehee::teehee:
I feel the same way when i watch !

hands off Amy's STUFF! :stick: :lol:

Mrs.Sawyer
11-10-2008, 09:13 PM
Whatever!

Are you the personal Champion of the Roloffs?

And you must be really bored!

You MUST be speaking to ME. Yep, I'm bored and you're boring. NEXT

Jessi
11-10-2008, 09:15 PM
True I wasn't speaking to Kitty.. at least she can talk without trying to pick a fight. She's funny too, and , ummm, you're not!

Mrs.Sawyer
11-10-2008, 09:18 PM
True I wasn't speaking to Kitty.. at least she can talk without trying to pick a fight. She's funny too, and , ummm, you're not!

am too! Just ask anybody!:mrgreen:

Maui for me
11-10-2008, 10:14 PM
I love the show as much as ever,,,, gotta love that family and as DS said, the renovation is showing on them. I cannot wait to see the house finished...

gap134
11-11-2008, 06:09 AM
....as DS said, the renovation is showing on them. I cannot wait to see the house finished...

The remodel is taking a long time. I can't wait to see it finished. That deck expansion is looking nice.

Pinksneakers2
11-11-2008, 10:02 AM
The remodel is taking a long time. I can't wait to see it finished. That deck expansion is looking nice.

I hope we get a tour of the house. Everything does look really nice. I believe prior to the show starting Matt and Amy wondered if they would be able to keep the farm. I think they have made a lot of sacrifices by doing the show and opening up their home and lives and sharing it with viewers. I am surprised to see how much the farm has changed and it is so much luxurious than it was but who can blame them for investing money into their property especially while their family has grown so much. One thing that has not changed is the way Matt goes about planning projects and all the changes and they always hit some big snag. I think Amy knows by now things work themselves out.

Maui for me
11-11-2008, 10:08 AM
You are both so right Ladies.... I am so anxious to see the finished project, like Matt is ever finished, lol

glowbug57
11-11-2008, 12:16 PM
haha, True DS... I guess I'm just kind of picky sometimes about clutter. AND kudos on the kids not being coached to be all nicey, nicey all the time. Ugh.. my fingers are itching to clean that place though! haha.

I'll go help ya!:thumb:

Dancer
11-15-2008, 04:53 AM
:smile:Oh, please Mrs. Sawyer and DS....First, I NEVER used the word hate....Second...if they want to start an organization...let it be in their OWN country...Third..they live like pigs...Fourth...they ARE self-centered....oh wow...look what I'm doing.....get over it and get a life.

DisruptiveSpirit
11-15-2008, 06:54 AM
You already said goodbye and good riddance so why ya still here?

:smile:Oh, please Mrs. Sawyer and DS....First, I NEVER used the word hate....Second...if they want to start an organization...let it be in their OWN country...Third..they live like pigs...Fourth...they ARE self-centered....oh wow...look what I'm doing.....get over it and get a life.

olicat45
11-15-2008, 06:58 AM
Dont let the door hit ya dancer!

DisruptiveSpirit
11-15-2008, 07:00 AM
Why people punish themselves by watching a show they dislike is beyond me. :dunno:

Dont let the door hit ya dancer!

andy40
11-15-2008, 07:12 AM
hi i live in engaland and watch the show all the time and love it but as soon as people starting making money from tv of anything someone as to get jealous makes me sick there a great family and good luck to them all the more money they make the better. same with american chopper loads of people got jealous when they started making money it makes me sick

Mrs.Sawyer
11-15-2008, 07:25 AM
Second...if they want to start an organization...let it be in their OWN country...

well this explains everything, I suddenly hear banjos......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyKvD-4IxOY

DisruptiveSpirit
11-15-2008, 07:39 AM
:teehee:

well this explains everything, I suddenly hear banjos......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyKvD-4IxOY

Dancer
11-15-2008, 09:40 AM
U R sooooooooooooo sad.....

andy40
11-15-2008, 09:45 AM
no dancer you got that wrong your the one thats sad if you dont like them why bother coming on here just go and play somehwere else

Dancer
11-15-2008, 10:33 AM
All,
It's not that I don't like them, per se, they came, we saw, now let's move on. Trust me, I'm not the ONLY one who feels that way. Their time is done....let's see something more interesting....

cutefamily
11-15-2008, 10:57 AM
Yes, Dancer they did come, we saw, and they continue to come! :mrgreen:

Kind of like you..you came, we saw, now Be gone

http://www.americanrhetoric.com/images/wizardofzwitchmelt1.JPG

Dancer
11-15-2008, 11:01 AM
As will I...

cutefamily
11-15-2008, 11:07 AM
http://www.healthinajiffy.co.uk/images/raid-fly-wasp-mosquito.jpg

olicat45
11-15-2008, 11:08 AM
Buh bye,so long,its time to bid ado........

Dancer
11-15-2008, 11:21 AM
Such manners from "seniors"...I am shocked....

DisruptiveSpirit
11-15-2008, 12:02 PM
You obviously don't like the show (or the family) and have said so in many ways. And, since you are not a fan you are obviously here to just rile people up and start trouble. And, I won't let that happen. Have a nice day. Your time here is up.

All,
It's not that I don't like them, per se, they came, we saw, now let's move on. Trust me, I'm not the ONLY one who feels that way. Their time is done....let's see something more interesting....