Navigation » MattRoloff.com Forum > Little People Big World > Talk about the TV Show Little People Big World » Info On The Salman Family From Iraq (Articles, Videos, Etc.)

Old 01-15-2010, 06:14 PM   #121
cclngthr

Send a message via AIM to cclngthr

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayC View Post
She is a strong little girl.

Where was this taken? In Iraq? What is he carrying? This photo is too funny. I wonder if anything fell off.
That was taken in Iraq after Matt had gone there the first time. When Matt was there, they were living in a shack (basically).

Here is the story:

Quote:
Abdul did have a vehicle. The only thing that kept it going was dirt, spit, and prayer. It left him stranded more times than not but he loved it. The story behind the mattresses is this:

One day while going over to visit the family I saw all of these mattresses in front of their trailor. Wardah and Abdul was piling the mattresses on top of his car. She pulled them out of the trash dump. To her they would help their family members have a better quality of life. In her mind they were clean and usuable. I couldn't believe Abdul was able to get all the mattresses on top of his car and tied down. The rest of the story was about ten minutes later the Warrant was over by the medical clinic and was driving and saw Abdul pass him. He laughed so hard and had to stop and take a photo. Must give Abdul credit, the mattresses did not fall off the top.

The photos of the trailor is where the Warrant was able to move them from the shack you originally see in the show and the beginning photos. It held three beds in a row. Had a small toilet and sink. Warda was able to cook off a camp burner. They lived here over a year before their visas came through.

Not many people would visit them because they were very close to the Red zone. They were very isolated from everything. The burning photo of trash was about 100 feet from their trailor. The children loved when the Chief and I came to visit. I went many times alone until it became too dangerous. One day a friend sent the children some small chairs. You can see their reaction. The children have a thirst to learn; they love to live, laugh, play. They are not very materialistic. Most of all, they just want friends.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:38 PM   #122
GrayC

That's a great story.

People are better off when they have little. Stuff just clogs up your mind and soul.

GrayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:39 AM   #123
cclngthr

Daily update:

Quote:
Everyone who cares for Saja,

I hope you don't mind if I call Saja our little girl. The family's culture is if a person cares enough then they become family. So now Saja is a part of your family.

I thought she was doing so well last night. She was able to pee on her own and I thought that was a great improvement. 0400 came around and everything hit the fan. Saja is having a great difficulty breathing, even with the new trach. The nursing staff finally stabilized her and today are running a ton of tests. To see if she may have a cold or pneumonia. Her fever has returned and the doctor told me in this mornings round up she is sorry Saja is not improving. The Warrant Officer always say "what you think about, you bring about" so we remain positive. We know she's in God's tender loving care. While she may not be improving she also is not going backward.

Dr. Park wants to exchange her trach tomorrow. The nurse said this is common so I am not going to worry. The nurse will be giving Saja an enema today and I'm glad because I would like to be here for her for that.

I have to leave here tomorrow. It kills me to do so because she's not ready to be left alone yet. I am going to try desperately and make it back soon. Being here is hard but being away from here is harder.

Abdul is taking the tongue issue really hard emotionally. The dentist though keeps reassuring us that he doesn't think she will lose it. However, it does look bad and I can see Abdul's concern. Her tongue is still severely swollen with a bite mark almost in half. The dentists will keep a close eye on it. Good signs are the tongue is still pink in color. If things don't improve within the next two days with her tongue they will paralyze her in order to make molds and enable her mouth to stay open wider so the swelling will decrease. Every time Abdul sees her tongue he becomes very agitated. I just want to pass out.

Yesterday we was able to Skype with Warda in Idaho and Saja. Warda could not get through it and had to be taken to the hospital. She's okay now but is taking this really really hard. Abdul's tumor surgery is scheduled for 17 Feb here in Salt Lake.

Thank you for your continued prayers.

Tammy
Keep in mind Saja (technically) has a spinal chord injury. She might stop improving (like Zach, Jacob and Mike did) for a while and stay there for a while and improve slowly. Sometimes improvement comes in stages. At least she is getting better.

Wardah is taking this extremely hard. Keep her in mind in all of this as well as Abdul.

Last edited by cclngthr; 01-16-2010 at 10:52 AM.
cclngthr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:46 AM   #124
Northern Neighbour

I sure hope the next update brings some better news.
Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:59 AM   #125
cclngthr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour View Post
I sure hope the next update brings some better news.
I do too. I will update here as it comes to me.

There are 3 more to go as well. Abdul is having surgery next month to remove the tumor and hopefully that will be the end of it for him. Ali and Bara are next.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:56 PM   #126
cclngthr

This morning:
Quote:
Tammy left this morning to go back to Virginia for a few days. I'll try to keep you all posted as to Saja's progress.

She is sleeping at this time. Her tongue is still swollen. She is still having trouble with her BMs. They are giving her something as we speak to help her with her BMs.

Wardah still needs your prayers. She still is having a hard time coping with all of this stress.

We skyped for a few minutes with Ali, and Baraa. They saw Saja and were happy to see her. Saja opened her eyes slightly but I think that she is still under the influence of the pain meds.

I'll write again at the end of the day.

Russell
Update
Old 01-17-2010, 03:06 PM   #127
GrayC

I've got some cards going out tomorrow if the post office is open. It's Martin Luther King day tomorrow isn't it?

GrayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 05:16 PM   #128
cclngthr

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayC View Post
I've got some cards going out tomorrow if the post office is open. It's Martin Luther King day tomorrow isn't it?
It is. USPS is closed tomorrow.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:11 AM   #129
scagjockey

Default Good News

From Russell:
Early monday morning,

It's a little after 2am. Abdul is getting some much needed sleep. Saja is awake, and is very alert.

The nurse is doing a great job. She just put some cream on Saja's tongue to help keep it moist. All her stats on the monitor look very strong. We hope and pray that as soon as the swelling goes down they will wean her from the ventilator, and she will breath on her own. Once that happens she will leave ICU.

The staff is telling me that after ICU she will be outfitted with a body brace and then she will be able to sit up.

The president of the local chapter of LPA, Kerry and Kristy Suojanen will be here around 10am to help us keep Saja company. We are very happy with the support from the LPA of Utah helping out. We would also like to thank Steve and Katy for helping out also and visiting Saja.

I'll give the next update sometime around mid morning
Old 01-18-2010, 07:52 AM   #130
Jacobsbigbrother

Quote:
Originally Posted by scagjockey View Post
From Russell:
Early monday morning,

It's a little after 2am. Abdul is getting some much needed sleep. Saja is awake, and is very alert.

The nurse is doing a great job. She just put some cream on Saja's tongue to help keep it moist. All her stats on the monitor look very strong. We hope and pray that as soon as the swelling goes down they will wean her from the ventilator, and she will breath on her own. Once that happens she will leave ICU.

The staff is telling me that after ICU she will be outfitted with a body brace and then she will be able to sit up.

The president of the local chapter of LPA, Kerry and Kristy Suojanen will be here around 10am to help us keep Saja company. We are very happy with the support from the LPA of Utah helping out. We would also like to thank Steve and Katy for helping out also and visiting Saja.

I'll give the next update sometime around mid morning

Now this is some positive news. Finally. I am so glad that Saja is doing better this morning. Hope she continues to improve as each moment passes. Thanks soooo much for the positive update.
Jacobsbigbrother is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salman, salman family