Navigation » MattRoloff.com Forum > Little People Big World > Ask matt » Matt Answers Your Questions Part 9 (2/19/10)

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 03:44 PM   #1
DisruptiveSpirit
Administrator

Default Matt Answers Your Questions Part 9 (2/19/10)

1. Hi Matt. I saw a picture in your book of you with a motorcycle. Did you ride in the past, and would you like to have a joint show with "American Chopper" and have the OCC guys build you a custom motorcycle? Perhaps they could make one with a sidecar for Amy, or a 3 wheeled cycle-trike made with a VW bug engine!

Matt's Answer:

I used to have dirt bikes and quads when I was younger that I used to drive all around our property. But no, nothing that I've ever driven on the street.

As for American Chopper, there were talks in the past about possibly doing a show with those guys but it never came to fruition.

Matt

2. Has Direct Access Solutions ever shipped one of the Direct Access Solution's kits out of the United States? How are the kits made? Are they made in the USA?

Matt's Answer:

Yes, our kits are shipped all over the world and they are made right here in the good ol' USA!.

Matt

3. GrayC here Matt. Did you ever take any more helicopter flying lessons?

Matt's Answer:

No. I never did take those flying lessons. I think now I'm more interested in flying around IN them than flying them.

Matt

4. Matt this is GrayC, what happened to that round dining room table you had made a couple of years ago? Do you still have it? Also, I was wondering how you and Sven met?

Matt's Answer:

For some reason or another Amy wanted a new table and so that one got moved out into the barn and is used sorta as a conference table.

As for how I met Sven, I met him years ago right after we moved to Oregon. About 18 years ago. He had a little printing shop and I stopped in and we ended up doing a little project together. We became buddies and have been working on and off ever since.

Matt

5. Being a little person Im sure you hear things from average height people like 'I don't know how you do this and that' do you think if one day you were to wake up and be average height you would have trouble doing every day things for the first bit since you are so used to doing it being a little person? Kind of an odd question I know but I thought of it after watching.

Matt's Answer:

I'm sure I would have trouble at first. But I've never really thought about it. I also think there are some things you can do and say as a little person that maybe you couldn't as an average size person. For instance, I can joke around and kinda say stuff like "Yo, I'm down here!"But doing stuff like that as an average size person would probably make me a social outcast. Not that I'm not a social outcast now. LOL

Matt

6. So, I noticed your calling card lists "Attempts Failed" and "Wars Lost". Care to elaborate on any of those?

Matt's Answer:

The card is kind of a tongue-in-cheek. "Attempts Failed" just means that there have been many things I have attempted to do that I just haven't been successful at. As for "Wars Lost" I think I was referring back more to my corporate days. Or, just having wars with Amy. I believe "not always succeeding" makes you stronger as a person.

Matt

7. Do you have any pictures of Rocky as a puppy and Spike as a kitten that you could post on the site?

Matt's Answer:

I do. We are actually in the process of redoing our site completely. And, as soon as we're done with that we'll be sure to get up some pictures of Rocky and Spike.

Matt

8. How do you feel about the way you and Amy have been portrayed on the show lately? If the way you're being portrayed has a lot to do with editing, then why do you allow it? I ask that because your name is on the credits as a producer. I'd think that you wouldn't allow yourselves to be shown in a such a way if it weren't true.

Matt's Answer:

Amy and I do have some influence over final content but we do look to our producers for input. When you're in the middle of it, when you're the subject, it's hard to be subjective. So, we allow our producers to use their own objectivity about how certain episodes should be portrayed.

If Amy and I were to cut out every little thing that we thought portrayed us in any kind of negative light, the show would not be as popular as it is and it would cease to be what it is today. We have to sometimes show even more than we're comfortable with. That is one of our commitments. To show the good, the bad and the ugly. It's sometimes not fun and not friendly but it's us trying to be as open and honest as we can be.

The times that we get frustrated are when those arguments and tension are the result of the fact that we work so many hours that we don't have a chance to breathe. Those are the times when we need to come together as a family, take a break so that we can focus on balancing the family and stuff.

Matt

9. As a "producer" of the show, just how much say and control do you have over the show?

Matt's Answer:

LOL Well, as a producer we have very little say. But, as the 'character' or 'talent' of the show we have a fair amount of influence over what we do. But as a producer we don't have a whole lot of say because there are so many different producers and people that are involved with putting a show like this together. But being the 'subject' of the show we can exercise our influence when we can.

At the same time, I think we have a wonderful production crew. We trust TLC and our production crew to do that hard work.

Matt

10. As President of the Matt Roloff online Optimist Club, what has been your biggest success in life?

Matt's Answer:

My biggest success would be continually growing as a person and being a father.

Matt

11. What has been your biggest regret in life?

Matt's Answer:

Hmmm.....you know what, I can't think of any substantial regrets because I never look back. Well, maybe my biggest regret would be that I wasn't focused more in high school.

Matt

12. What is the best thing about your year last year (2009)?

Matt's Answer:

One of the highlights of the year was that I got my new office organized, set up and moved down to the barn.

Matt
Old 02-19-2010, 03:44 PM   #2
DisruptiveSpirit
Administrator

13. Given how things are going lately in Washington County, I'm seriously thinking of starting a write in campaign the next time there's an opening on the Board of Commissioners to get Matt Roloff elected as a county commissioner. Thus the question- if Nominated, would you Serve?

Matt's Answer:

Absolutely I would! I have kicked around that idea many times out of frustration. I would love to be able to go on that board and shake things up a little bit and see if I could implement solutions to some of the land use problems and some of the county issues that we're faced with here in Washington County.

I keep thinking maybe after we are done with the show that I'll do just that.

Matt

14. With the new health care "reform", there was mention about insurance companies not being allowed to play the "pre-existing condition" card. How do you think this will impact little people in the U.S.?

Matt's Answer:

With all the things I disagree with on the health care reform, the one thing I do agree with is that preexisting conditions needs to be mandated so that people can get coverage even with preexisting conditions. I believe that that will help the whole system. Because, more people that are in the system, even with their preexisting conditions, will contribute to bringing the overall cost down.

Matt

15. Are there any projects you are currently working on that you can share with us? Anything new for 2010 that we can expect to see?

Matt's Answer:

Well, I'm in the early stages of trying to figure out how to create a Noah's Ark. LOL Something that we can maybe put our petting zoo in and take tours through.

Right now it's winter time and so things are pretty quiet here on the farm.

I'm also looking into creating a big water storage pond at the end of the property. It would be able to capture rain water and then pump it back up to irrigate the pumpkins and other things like the lawns. So, we're looking into that project and also solar panels.

Matt

16. Is there any way you can post here about special events coming up? Such as newspaper or magazine articles, radio or TV show appearances, speeches, or anything else. We usually find our information by googling and it's often after the event has happened.

Matt's Answer:

We're a little hesitant to post too many details about our travel schedules. We feel there's sometimes security issues that go along with that that we need to be aware of.

But, as far as the newspapers and magazine articles, we are looking at the possibility of doing that. As some of you know, we're also thinking about the possibility of opening up a Facebook or Twitter where some of that information could be passed on.

Matt

17. I enjoyed the episode during the house remodel when you installed a geothermal heating system. Now that you've used the system through all seasons, I am curious how well it has performed and if it has reduced your energy bills. Also, does it provide air conditioning/cooling and/or hot water or only heat? Do you have any future "green" improvements planned?

Matt's Answer:

It seems to be working good. It's very, very, difficult to get a true measure of how successful it's been because we expanded the size of the house significantly at the same time and there are kinks with it that we're trying to work out at the same time. For instance, it trips a switch from time to time and we don't know about it because there's no indicator light. And so we kinda stumble across it and say "Oh the geothermal was switched off by accident" because of a power surge or whatever and we didn't know it for a month.

We've actually asked our pool maintenance people how well they think the geothermal system has been heating the water for the pool and the hot water heater and so they're gonna come out and install some gauges so that we can really see how much heat it's generating. But, so far we've had very manageable PG (gas) bills. It's doing some good.

As for future 'green' projects we're looking at solar panels, turbines, and water retention systems.

Matt

18. Sometimes, I feel TLC edits the show to show the Roloff's in a negative light, and I wonder if you feel the show's editing may be unfair? I am not sure it would get back to you but in a previous post I commented I thought you looked like a "jacka$$" coming in late to the twin's graduation and missing the opening ceremony. I wondered why someone could not help you out to park your car etc since you have a cell phone and film crew following you around.

Matt's Answer:

LOL Because it made a better TV show that I was 3 minutes late, ya know? I didn't do it intentionally but with music and editing added to it it makes great drama.

And no, the producers don't help with things like that. I pull up looking for a spot to park and here they are standing outside with their equipment and I say "Yo, did you see any place to park?" and they just shrug their shoulders like they don't know. LOL Of course they're not gonna answer because they want me to drive up and down as they follow alongside me up and down the road filming me as I'm trying to figure out where to park. So it turns out I had to park further away than I would have liked. But yeah it makes for good drama and so they're gonna play up on it.

Matt

19. Hey Matt...a lot of us here were very impressed with Amy's Enchiladas. I was wondering if Amy might be willing to share her recipe with us?

Matt's Answer:

Her enchiladas are to die for! They're one of my favorite meals she makes. I'll ask her is she's interested in posting it online.

Matt

20. Are you aware that this season was kind of a drag with all the focus on marital problems? Is next season going to be more fun? Gosh I hope so! I can't take any more stress in my life.

Matt's Answer:

Yes. We actually just discussed with the producers how they had focused a little too heavy on that. They said that they were not going to stack in that direction next time around. They are gonna try and create a better balance and we are working together as a family to enjoy life every day.

Matt

21. Matt, how have you and your family changed the most since doing the show?

Matt's Answer:

Believe it or not, I don't think that we've changed a whole lot. I know people are gonna reject that but it's more about how people react to us. Inside we don't feel very different. What people expect from us, how they react to us, how they approach us, that's what's different now. We can't walk down the street without being treated differently. But from our prospective, and our inner circle of friends and family, they will tell you that we haven't really changed.

Everybody evolves in their life. I would hope that we have evolved and changed over a 5 year period and have adapted to the circumstances. We have become celebrities and so we have adapted to those circumstances and do the best we can. But, have we become meaner, nicer, smarter, or any of that, my answer would be, I don't think so.

Matt

22. In the Little Americans episode how come your crutch had a lot of duct tape on it?

Matt's Answer:

I had snapped my crutch in about 4 little pieces on one of my tractors and so I had to duct tape it back together again until I could find a replacement.

Matt

23. Matt, GrayC here. When is the 4th season coming out on DVD? I need to catch up. Will there be another season?

Matt's Answer:

We do not know yet about another season. Right now we are in a break and after season 5 we are gonna reevaluate where we're at. Right now we have been having a lot of family meetings trying to figure out where everyone is, if they are still interested, and if so, what sort of activities would they like to do. But right now we are just mainly enjoying our break.

As for the DVD, I'll look into it. .

Matt
Old 02-19-2010, 04:01 PM   #3
scagjockey

Thanks DS and Matt. Great to hear some new responses. I was hoping he would have came up with a specific example for number 6.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:10 PM   #4
Lprdgecko

Thanks DS and Matt!!!

All who call on God in true faith, earnestly from the heart, will certainly be heard, and will receive what they have asked and desired.
-Martin Luther

TTU Class of 2013
Old 02-19-2010, 04:27 PM   #5
GrayC

20. Are you aware that this season was kind of a drag with all the focus on marital problems? Is next season going to be more fun? Gosh I hope so! I can't take any more stress in my life.

Matt's Answer:

Yes. We actually just discussed with the producers how they had focused a little too heavy on that. They said that they were not going to stack in that direction next time around. They are gonna try and create a better balance and we are working together as a family to enjoy life every day.

Yea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-19-2010, 04:28 PM   #6
GrayC

In the Little Americans episode how come your crutch had a lot of duct tape on it?

Matt's Answer:

I had snapped my crutch in about 4 little pieces on one of my tractors and so I had to duct tape it back together again until I could find a replacement.

Likely story.

Old 02-19-2010, 04:36 PM   #7
DisruptiveSpirit
Administrator

Yup. Good to hear huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayC View Post
Yea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-19-2010, 04:55 PM   #8
Northern Neighbour

21. Matt, how have you and your family changed the most since doing the show?

Matt's Answer:

Believe it or not, I don't think that we've changed a whole lot. I know people are gonna reject that but it's more about how people react to us.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is what I believe to be the truth!!!!!

Thanks DS and Matt. I sure hope Amy comes accross with that enchilada recipe.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:12 PM   #9
GrayC

Thanks Matt and DS for another round of great questions and answers. Let me know about season 4. Others out of the country want to see it too.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:03 PM   #10
aok351

OMG!! How did I miss this!!
Thanks DS and Matt!!!
YES!! Please less focas on the fighting!
Closed Thread